The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. [Prov 18:21]
He who guards his mouth and tongue keeps himself from calamity. [Prov 21:23]
There are quite a few bible verses that speak to watching what we say and speaking things into the atmosphere. I was talking to someone yesterday and she was saying how she noticed that whenever she spoke negativity concerning her life…they happened and the few times she spoke positively…they happened. So she has made it a point to distance herself of negative people and was admonishing me to do the same.
I do believe in the power of words [you know that kain belief you know in theory but not really practically?...yea]. Like I know the scripture and I believe in the power of “calling those things that be not as though they were.” In my head that is. Actually thinking and speaking positively is quite another story. There are times I catch myself and stop staying negative things but I only do that maybe 20% of the time [there are just some things I don’t allow myself say regardless of what actually is]. The other times I’m just being realistic or so I tell myself. I said before that I consider myself to be a realist…ya’know the one that hears it’s going to rain, hopes it doesn’t rain but leaves home with an umbrella just in case it does rain and carries on with the day. As opposed to a pessimist that would stay home cos she knows for sure it would rain and would rather not be caught in it. Or an optimist, who ‘claim’ no rain and leaves home with an umbrella cos she just knows it’s not going to rain…or something like that sha lol
My question is where does the line between positive thinking and being realistic blur? I understand that the label ‘realist’ maybe a guise…some type of defense mechanism against disappointment but is that so wrong?
There are some people that have a natural disposition to be positive and I guess good things happen to them. Are there people that always think positively but positive things don’t happen to them? Is that a moot point since they put a positive spin on everything so even when positive don’t happen they find a way to make it positive? [okay even I don’t know if that makes sense].
Is it because some people think negatively that negative things happen to them or is it as a result of past experiences that they think negatively…which results in continuous negativity?
I guess it all depends on one’s faith level…? We all have a measure of faith but I’d imagine that people that have a natural disposition to be positive have an easier time exercising faith…no?
Ah well…I think I’m rambling so I’ll just stop. I’ve managed to confuse myself so on to mindless stuff.
Meanwhilly: I just heard THE ex is getting married. My heart skipped a beat when I heard and I waited for the effect of the news cos I couldn’t tell at that moment how I felt about it. Tigeress had written a post [here] on the same topic…it came to mind and I just laughed cos my comment on her post is apt especially, the “water off a ducks back” bit. I tried to analyze how/if I felt anything but realized that doing that wouldn’t do me any good knowing how my mind works I go just begin dey think up ish. Overall, [without the over analysis] I’m glad he’s found his rib and wish him all the best…he is a good guy [No. Really, I am.]
Hope you all had a great weekend. Here’s to an even greater week
*Muah*
15 comments:
While i believe in "keeping it real" Somethings are better left unsaid biko. Imagine telling someone that "my dear your perfume smells like incense" even if it actually does.
R..umm for music group. come on, you could do better than that. And oh, I keep it real. its just easier that way.
didnt see that you're ex is geting married. what a damn shame. Dont worry, you're time is coming.
i don't think your are rambling. i guess i have an idea of what you trying to say, but you confuse me small sha..lol(like 24.85%).
i'm an optimist(most of the time).
Resonance( a naija christain group).. umm you will shout roc hmm interesting. good job..
I hear you o jare, i wonder about that myself. In church lately, they've been preaching about how people never profess good things for themselves and so good things never happen. I do wonder, that is a blurry area for me.
As for me, I consider myself to be a realist but at the same time I'm not constantly thinking negative thoughts. And my life hasn't been 'negative' per se...I dunno jo. Let me not ramble here...
I know my comment prob makes no sense.
As for married exes, nna ehn. Story of my life...
@NiceAnon--lol@ incense smelling perfume...that's just wrong. Umm you and SN confused me even further with the 'keeping it real' speak oh...que?
@SN--I couldn't think of a group...u for help me out na. Nah, it's a good thing...it shows progress.
@BSNC--lol, don't worry, i confused myself too. Ah, thanks jare that name sounds familiar but i can't say i remember any of their songs.
lol...na play i iz with the Roc thing oh
@Mgbekes--from one rambler to another your comment made sense...i totally get what u're saying cos i can't say my life has been negative either nor can i say i'm the most positive person.
lol. what got your confused? I don't understand what SN is on about either. lmao
*scratching head*I'm a little confused but I get the main point. I am a very positive person.
Awww man!! I been tagged! :( I'll save it for tomorrow.
So the bible verse about he who holds his tong keeps himself from calamity..is that God's way of telling me to keep my mouth shut tomorrow? Hmm...we'll see.
I do think words are powerful and proclaiming positive things for yaself certainly doesn't hurt.
ue
its so hard trying to stay positive..but yea, i got ur message loud and clear..
lol @ the meme..
im happy u r handling the news of ur ex's nuptials well..good for u..hang in there, sweetie!
this things are difficult abeg. Sometimes you don't intend to think negatively, buh most times it can't be helped. I'm not sure u dig what i'm saying buh basically, u can't blame pple some times.
Your meme..Lol..:P
i cant even think of a musical group dt starts with R too.
@ NiceAnon—Well, any of the –ists can claim they are just ‘keeping it real’ too so I wasn’t quite sure what you and SN meant.
@ Bibi—lol, as long as you get the gist. Come rub come positivity on me biko
@ Kate—what are you planning to do today oh?? Listen to the voice of the Lord :o. Yep, I agree. lol@ “ue”…at first I was like ‘da heck?’…
@ Butter—Glad it wasn’t gibberish to you. Thanks jare!
@ Penelope—I hear you my dear…I dig what you’re saying.
Ha! Good thing it’s not only me. BSNC helped with one sha.
I was hoping you would use Renault for car. lol! Haven't seen one of those in a while.
Nice post.
"...the power of words." so, the best we can do is to be consciously careful of our thots and words.
Hmmm, and the first letter of my name is R, did you copy me?
Post a Comment