How many of you absolutely LOVE what you do? Well, kneel down, raise your hand and give thanks to your God becos you are among the lucky few.
I'm beginning to think there might be a case to be made for parents that 'try to push' their children into specialty fields i.e. Engineering/Medicine/Law/Eceterem Eceterem...at least the child has a starting point and can gain the necessary skills in the areas of their desired specialty [I know that's not exactly why they push em]. I've said it a few times here that I'm not one of those people that have one thing they just "absolutely love." I, however, do KNOW that I HATE busy work...work that I feel adds no value to my person [doesn't mean it's not important it's just grunt work]. I also do KNOW that I HATE twiddling thumbs more than that. I'd rather be busy doing a whole of bunch of busy work than having nothing to do. Both make me feel useless!!
I like to say "If it can be taught, it can be learned/I can learn it." If I can be trained in a particular skill, I can do it and most times do it well but there is nothing I would love more [right now] than to be an Expert in MY field. Yes, promotions are great as per more money but I'm not one for titles and at the end of the day it’s the experience that I want. I just want to be able to say "dude, I can do that in my sleep...expertly!!"
I work in a huge industry and there is [seemingly] massive potential for growth in almost every direction. The problem with this is that when you get hired you end up doing everything BUT the thing(s) you were hired to do. You end up becoming a jack of ALL trade and a master of NONE. Some might argue that it's an awesome thing and I'm not disputing that its good but the problem is you don't get to do enough of one thing to be able to command any type of respect in that area before you have to move on to something else. I hate that!! I hate this feeling of floating along. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that every project is different, I love the fact that the type of work you do is different because each client is different. What would be awesome tho, is if I got to do that one thing or couple of things with all the different clients and on all the different projects. That way I still get the variety of projects/clients but I'm perfecting a particular skill set.
Am I the only one that watches a show like "Cake Boss" or "Cake Divas" and wish I could bake? Or a show like "DWTS" and wish I could dance like the pros? ...or any show were people showcase their talents. I find myself 'coveting' their talents/gifts. *sigh*
For people like me who don't have that one thing they could do/love to do without even getting paid for it, my own is, as per work oh- I just want to do one thing or a couple of things [that add great value of cos] and do them...expertly. Is that too much to ask??
*sigh*
*Rant aside I am grateful I have a job. Classic case of "eni to lori oni fila, eni to ni fila o lori!" Go figure!!
Hope everyone got the Valentine Day they expected :)
^_^
6 comments:
I can wholeheartedly say I enjoy what I do. Really I know it is a blessing. I chose the field myself and have the lord to thank for it.
Yeah I got the Val I expected which is laying around in bed alone. LOL
I feel you cos a few years ago, this was me, working in a bank was so frustrating. I finally left to do what I wanted. Now is a great time, writing is so good for me.
i love what i do. its tough, draining and all, but i sure get the kicks doing it.
imagine not being home since sunday afternoon. yeah thats how its been for me lately. lol
Ha! I wish i had complete reign over what I do and yea it'll be nice to be an expert sha.
haha. I haven't heard your saying in a while.
Yep. I got the vals day I expected. Chilled one.
Taynement
I definitely enjoy what I do sha, we thank the Lord.
But I don't have any extra special talents like baking, cooking, dancing and all the stuff that the rest of the world seems to have. I'm fine with it sha sha, girl next door lomor :-D
Wait, wait...does being an expert shopper count? :-P
I have missed you.
I know what you mean. People that get to do that are extremely blessed. Reminds me of Maslow's hierarchy of needs - the last one is self fulfillment. So having fulfilled that means you got it all down, lol. I do know the things I absolutely love, I just never had the guts to get into it, or it's too late because life's drama got the best of me. Luckily, I still have more things that I love, and I am still working to get to the point where I can live with it every day. I wanted to comment on that post about anonymous posting, but I guess you disabled it :-) Anyway - I love all your posts and feel I can relate.
Post a Comment