Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mehhnn

...if i see one more "i'm natural and proud", "Natural Divas have more fun" "Go back to the original God created you to be", "Who feels more confident as a nappy headed sistah?" ETC ETC i will shave somebody's head!! ah ahn kilode??

What is really the deal? I'm starting to wonder if this isn't another form of oppression oh. People lay sooo much emphasis on this "Natural Journey" thing that i wonder what will happen if 'god forbid' they wake up one day and they are bald. Will they revert back to feeling insecure and un-diva like? There are all these stories of how going natural "healed a broken heart" or how it's made them "realize that they were living for others and they have now started living for themselves" or how it's "helped them face their fear of the unknown."

You know what? It's great that your hair has helped you become a better person. What i don't get is why the non-nappy headed sistas are now somehow living less than their God given potential cos they choose to remain on that Creamy Crack a.k.a Perm? Its like in order for you to be shine you have to dim the light of others. Maka why?

I'm natural. I didn't go natural to prove anything to anyone or to myself gan sef...i did it cos i felt like it. It's my second go around. The first time i was natural for about 3 years or so...got tired of it, permed it, chopped it all off and rocked a really short cut for a while. I've been natural for about a year and half now and its whatever. I don't attach any deep meaning to the hair cos...really.....ITS JUST HAIR!! [i can hear some crickets chirping *great for you* lol]

I was going to say maybe cos i'm Naija i don't get the 'struggle' but i don't think that's it...the thing just take style taya me.

No side eye me oh!
Yes, yes, they are entiled...so am I!
Live and let live...i know, and i no hold person so make you sef leave me jare! :D

Anyways...just felt the urge to post. You may now go back to your regularly scheduled programming

Hope your hump-day was a good one.

**Can i just say i'm dreading winter already!! Chei!!

Aiight

#thatisall

XOXO

14 comments:

TayneMent said...

LOL leave them oh, what ever Samson's their delight. If it gives them confidence and makes them feel better. Kudos to them. I can't knock whatever empowers or makes anyone feel good but like you said, please keep your judgements and disdain for those of us wey don "sellout" to yourself.

LusciousRon said...

LOL! They make me laugh a lot! Attaching so much meaning to something so inconsequential. Rock on jare. For me, perm is the way I no fit suffer my hair is just too nappy. And I love my weaves and its versatility.

Blogoratti said...

To each his own...

Unknown said...

Abeg ehen, help tell them o if dem go hear.. I don too tire.. Wetin!

Anonymous said...

I'm not just dreading winter I am seriously considering buying a ticket back to the islands for Jan. It's just October and I'm freezing.




Mizchif

Apinke said...

I am not my hair.....

shorty said...

LOL...abeg tell them o, they don tire me too. Go natural its what you want and allow other's that don't want to go natural, its what they choose too.

leggy said...

i was natural about 7 months and one of my friends started telling me how it was going to make me feel proud to be black and all these rubbish and telling me that those who perm their hair can be compared to those who do surgery and change the colour of their skin.
needless to say, i simply walked to the store, bought a relaxer and relaxed it that same day.i cannot have my hair defining me.
you're natural?it makes you feel good?good for you.that doesnt make you greater than people who perm their hair.
im sure you can tell that i feel strongly about this.
nice post.

kay9 said...

Everybodi just dey para-vex dis week, nawa o. 1st 2cute, na even my dearly belovd Rep1... Life's too short o.

But hair is just hair, abi? Whateva rocks whoeva's hair, make im joli dey go.

Anonymous said...

Nice Anon: Shey na hair matter? The day Original Mgbeke's blog got well over a 100 comments ontop hair matter na the day I figured to not even meddle with that kinda topic

Luscious LU said...

Lol! crazy peeps. Keeping whatever type of hair is a choice just like every other thing. Na wa to them o.

Kate said...

WHAT? YOU ARE NATURAL BUT NOT TRYNNA REP IT TO THE FULLEST AND TELL THE REST OF US THAT ARE ADDICTED TO THE "creamy crack" that we need an intervention?...your natural soul sista diva india arie afro neosoul pass has hereby been revoked! At the next meeting you will be tied down and your hair will be relaxed!!
HEHE!!! :)
Namaste!

N.I.L (Naijamum in London) said...

LOL! Totally agree....Too much emphasis on something so trivial.
The same people who go on and on about 'being empowered by having natural hair' are the same who are first to comment on whether someone is 'dark enough'.
How many of them are not mixed in some way? How many actually donate to African causes? Ask them who is president of Naija.....! Lordhavmercy!

M said...

lol at Kate's comment! : )