Thursday, April 9, 2009

On getting older...

…yea its one of em nights…sleep has been doing shakara since like 11 pm. Well screw you sleep, I don’t need ya punk ass!!

I have a friend that used to cry…as in bawl on her bday every year because she didn’t like the fact that she was getting older…I’m talking about when we were15/16 lol…wonder if she cries blood now. I was just thinking about this getting older business because its about that time again...and well, i can't sleep.

I’ve never really been one to be depressed about getting older, its inevitable so why sweat it? Sides the other option isn’t very palatable. I've always been mentally 'older' anyways...growing up, i was one of the younger ones in my crew and i fit right in. I felt 16 before i turned 16, felt 21 before i actually hit the age so when all the big milestone bdays came along they were nyeh cos my mind was there already. The tables have kinda turned now sha and i'm not sure how i feel about the mentally 'older' thing lol...i digress

The older one gets the more reflective one becomes or should become. Are goals being set? Are they being met? Where is one’s life headed? Is there a plan? And all that other ‘responsible’ stuff …So I’ve been reflecting and boy lemme tell ya! It’s real easy to get sucked into a dark place [lol] but allowing that will make me an ungrateful wench cos truth be told I have lived and have a blessed life.

Everyone has a different plan and it is quite retarded to be comparing you to anyone else. You see how far someone has come and you wonder why it seems they have it so easy but you have no idea what their struggles were/are. There is a Yoruba adage that says “ma fi ago alago sise” –Don’t use someone else’s clock to do your work. We’re all running on different schedules, the fact that it ain’t happening for you like you think it should doesn’t mean God has forgotten you.

A new year [Every birthday is your own personal new year] should be a time to re-evaluate, re-organize, rejuvenate yourself, re-focus, be thankful, work on being content, and continue with the life you have been given to live. Personally, I need to work on the whole "being content" thing. I’m always feeling like I haven't done enough or I’m not doing enough and I’m somehow wasting the time I’ve been given…just pretty much discontent with where I am and what I’m doing and alladat. But you know what? I’m exactly where I need to be, doing exactly what I should be doing and in the event that I am not…the one that knows all will change my course...somehow.

They say with age comes wisdom. Is that really true? One would think so huh? Or at least one would pray so. But omo there are very many old, rather daft people roaming around so I dare say that aging isn’t an antidote for/to wisdom…so what is?

How does one gain/acquire wisdom?

Is it the older brother of common sense that everyone is expected to just have but seeing as it really isn’t common not everyone has it? It is in information gathering and making one’s self well versed on a variety of issues and life topics? Is it either? Both? Neither?

I found this: “To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness,…” –Eccl 2:26

Oluwa o, look at the time....chei

Have a good day people

*Muah*

23 comments:

scribble,me.free said...

first?

scribble,me.free said...

he shoots, he scores!...

dancing galala...i even read the whole thing first

mehn..blogville is slacking o!

Wise man say:

Wisdom is acting on the understanding of knowledge.

Broken down:

Knowledge- gained through experience and learning, the expansion of ones mind

Understanding- true understanding is of the Spirit. he brings clarity.

Wisdom- action or inaction, informed by experience and learning, influenced by the Spirit.

mizchif said...

I like that saying...about not using another person's clock to do your own work. Very true talk. I need to constantly remind myself of that.

Blogoratti said...

Getting older,oftentimes we look back at the past-the events that have shaped and brought us this far....
We've only got one life to live-every second counts*
Happy birthday wishes!!

Spesh said...

I get really but i neva felt this way but getting old aint funny ooo.

NoLimit said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Original Mgbeke said...

Yep, no use person's clock to check yourself that's whY I don't compare myself to folk. We were not born on the same day.
And I do consider every birthday as my 'new year'. Happy birthday/in advance/belated birthday...lol, whichever day it fell.

Apinke said...

At least i made first ten!

This is so so nice, just like the last post. Hope u know i love u? u always seem to be speaking to me (make ur head no swell o).

PS
ur last post inspired my latest post (no be copy cat o), i acknowledged u so dont say i "stole" ur IP o!

Apinke said...

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
may God give u more thankful years on earth. you will live a fulfilled life.

I be prophet o, so say big amen.

BSNC said...

lol@ But omo there are very many old, rather daft people roaming around so I dare say that aging isn’t an antidote for/to wisdom…so what is?

yes you are right jo. everybody with their own clock.

i remember when i was younger i want to get older, now that am older i don't know again.

Happy birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

deep post. It's got me thinking... I really have to not compare myself to othrs, it's self-destructive.

Cidersweet said...

It's tough getting older sha. Like you said, one shouldnt think about it too much.
Every yr you will get better and better... like fine wine, amen. Cheers and happy birthday in advance!

LovePaprika said...

I should have been here oh!!! lol @ scribbles dancing galala...bone oh Scribbles can scribble a lot sha! see comment! lol...getting old scares me sometimes but your crying friend is deep oh!!! at 16 wow!!

Repressed One said...

@ Scribbles- LOL@ you dancing galala...i'd like to see that.
Hmmm, Nice breakdown...see this is what makes u sexy all that other stuvvs na icing ;) lol

@ Mizchif - Yes oh. Please do...its important...thanks for swinging by.

@ Blogo – Yezzur, we gotta make every second count. Thanks for the wishes

@ My World – lol@ it ain’t funny…we gotta laugh to keep from crying na. How we for do?

@ NoLimit – Thanks oh…and for stopping by too

@ Mgbekes – You have the right idea o jare. Dalu nnwane, ‘ppreciate it

@Nice Anon – Thank ma!

@ Omotee – Okay, you crack me up. LOL!!! My head swell small oh, make I no lie. But if I am to be honest I will say that your “Help, I’m Aging” post came to mind as I was typing this post up…it was just funny. So no copy cats here...inspiration comes from all around us.
AMEN oooooooo prophet Omotee!! Thank a lot ma!

@ BSNC – lol, I’m sure most people did oh. Thanks Lady!

@ Ms. L – Yes, please try not to…we’re never better for it.

@ Cidersweet – Like fine wine indeed. Amen oh. Thanks much

@ MissLove – You follow me see dat boy? Lol. My dear, its life jare we take the good with the not so good. Thanks for stopping by

Thanks for the well wishes my lovely people...I appreciate uall :)

bumight said...

Happy birthday

LOL@ "i wonder if she now cries blood"

we are all used to being in the same peer group, kindergatten together, elementary school together, high school together, so people tend to think we'll all marry/get rich/kids/etc at the same time.

Buttercup said...

food for thought..

lol @ ur friend..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REPRESSEDIZZLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roc said...

Happy Buffday Dearie..

Where's the afterparri at?!

Roc said...

You do know we gotta change your name now...

From Repressed One to Reflective One

Repressed One said...

Thanks Bumight. Yep, you make a good point sha...

Butter-- lol. Thanks sweetie :D

Roc-- Thanks babe. You know that huge plush hotel downtown? Be in the lobby at midnite...Party location undisclosed ;)

Hmmm, i'm liking Reflective One oh...and its more positive too.

Anonymous said...

i can relate to this; the older you get, the more reflective you tend to be and the more responsibilities people expect from you. nice post and happy birthday

Roc said...

Lobby @ midnite..

Me & you shebi..? no long thing..

Roc is always positive..

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written only you forgot the 'most' important thing.

...'twould be wrong to assume ('tis said to be the lowest form of knowledge) your age, 'twould be delightful you intimate us.

Don't worry, we all forget some little details at times......so, you were how old in April?

Repressed One said...

lol..."a lady never tells her age" but you know that, don't you, Rethots?