Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Beloved

…so it’s your 'birthday' today. You’re 49!! Still rather young compared to other nations…people seem to forget. You know, for a long time I thought my generation will be the one to turn things around for you but I am [sadly] accepting the fact that that might be a lofty dream. While we might not be as greedy as the generations before us [IMO], I don’t think we have enough people that are willing to fight for you. We run back to you mostly to eat the cake that is being served by the ones before us. I commend those that truly have your best interest at heart, few as they might be, I commend them and I pray they are able to at least scratch the surface of our issues. I say 'they' cos I don’t think I am one of them [sadly] so I’m not going to portray myself as one of the messiahs. The more people ask me if I would move back home, the more hesitant I am to scream ‘Yes’...maybe if God gives me a vision that shakes me to my bones but until then...

You are young still and I have to believe your time too shall come. It HAS to. You are the only home we know. Someday we will all be able to speak about you with real pride but until then we will hold our heads up high in spite of our many flaws…proudly Nigerian!!

Tiffed off FB:

“The trouble with Nigeria has become the subject of our small talk in much the same way as the weather is for the English. There is a great danger in consigning a life-and-death issue to the daily routine of small talk. No one can do much about the w...eather: we must accept and live with or under it. But national bad habits are a different matter; we resign ourselves to them at our own peril.”

The Nigerian problem is the unwillingness or inability of its leaders to rise to the responsibility, to the challenge of personal example which are the hallmarks of true leadership.”-- Chinua Achebe

Happy 'Birthday,' My Beloved Motherland!!!!!

…oh I heard on some show that naija has made over $400billion from the sale of oil over the last few decades. I weep!!

…I am also very aware that Ghana is 52 and she has constant power supply but its all about Naija today :)

…I hope the #lightupnigeria cause does some kind of good...

I totally slacked with the updates last month sha…only 2, smh. I can’t even blame an affair with twitter for this one like a lot of bloggers cos I don’t even know what twitter looks like. Nothing blog worthy has been happening jare. I mean, I’ve had randoms…tons actually but I just no wan belabor una with my many disjointed randoms :). I'll try and do better this month.

Happy birthday to the October babies!! I wish you all you wish yourselves and much more.


…we’re less than 100 days away from the end of 2009. Wow!!


U'all make it a great weekend and an even greater month...


*MUAH* w/activia peach yogurt :p

14 comments:

Chookz said...

I am confused does independence mean Nigeria's Birthday
I look at 1914 (i think) when it came into being or 1963 when it became a republic.

Nice Anon said...

interesting piece about naija. da bizniz.. when we got our independence from britico na. 1960

Sweetnothin' said...

Happy bday to my adopted motherland

Trybes said...

Lovely post..Nothin really to celebrate in my own thinkin tho..

Myne said...

Nigeria is still beloved, we go get there someday.

BSNC said...

Happy birthday naija..

how you dey m'dear..

Anonymous said...

God bless/help Nigeria.

Ps I was having activia vanilla yogurt while I was reading..lol

Fabulo-la said...

"...rise to the responsibility.." that is where the koko is..
And Repressed one..u never know..our generaion might just make that huge leap..i still believe it..

Repressed One said...

@Dabizniz- lol, i figured someone might say that, that's why i have birthday in quotes. I just chose to use birthday.

@Nicey- thanks ma' Hope sey you dey bam

@Sweety- Adopted? Where are you from [if you don't mind my asking]?

@Trybes- It's hard but we gotta keep hope alive.

@Myne- Amen oh!

@BSNC- Ahhh see ghost! how have you been? Im good dear, i've been gone about as long as you have.

@Tay-mee- Word? Haha...that's wussup. Good ish.

@Fab- Mehn that would be awesome. I haven't given up hope yet...

Anonymous said...

happy birthday naija.
im really tired of people saying that they have nothing to celebrate..cos i can think of a lot.
and its really about time people stopped comparing nigeria to other countries.that just pisses me off.
glad to have you back dear.

BSNC said...

hahaha no be only ghost na film trick. My sista it has not been good o, but with God all things are possible abi.

Spesh said...

I wish I cud share your optimism,ma dear!
Lovely post thou......

Apinke said...

nice post. i'm hopeful for naija, we will get there.

now how about we make u senator? u still no go come home?

i don miss u o!

RepressedOne said...

@Leggy- LOL!! Pls tell em why you mad!! You can’t blame people some times mehn. Na God go help us

@BSNC- Ah ma so yen o. I see you’ve been a busy bee sha. God is your strength.

@My World- …my dear, I can’t knock you for feeling that way since you live daily. God dey sha.

@Omotee- My barrister! Amin o. Shey you’re behind me 100%? Let’s make it happen na…Senator RepOne has a nice ring to it, no? lol
I don miss una too my dear.