Monday, August 10, 2009

Entrepreneurship

Does everyone have the ‘spirit’ of Entrepreneurship?

I ask because it seem like a lot of people, mostly Africans, are of the notion that one cannot be truly successful unless they own their own business(es) or are a CEO. Is this true?

I commend people who find a need in the world and do what it takes to provide that service. I admire people who have a passion for something and do what it takes to turn that passion into income. I hear and see people do things and come up with things and I wonder if they have 2 heads abi why didn’t I think of it first? Lol. I was talking to someone and within a 10 min conversation this person had spat out 3 different possible business ideas and I was like dang!!

I’m all for different streams of income oh.

But

Should success be defined as owning your own business or businesses?? If everyone owns a business who will get the work done? Just as the body needs all its members to function properly a business needs all the different layers and facets to function…Secretary/IT personnel/HR personnel/Janitor/etc etc…abi no be so?

Should those that don’t have or are not exhibiting this ‘spirit’ be made to feel ‘useless?’ Do you think they are just lazy and don’t want to do the work to ‘make something of themselves?’ Does this make a man less than a man? Should everyone that moves back to Nigeria/Home go back with the mindset to own/open a business?

Some are fine with earning a paycheck, they know what’s coming in at any point T [err, before the recession anyways]…
Some are fine with investing and letting their money work for them and can’t be bothered with employees and the stress of start up companies…
Some are high achievers on the academic front and are not concerned with running conglomerates…
...should any of the above be considered unsuccessful becos they don't own their own business?

I’ve heard business owners talk like anyone that isn’t on their way to owning their own thing is stupid and a waste of space. Its one thing to encourage people to think about it but it’s quite another to be condescending about it.

Wetin una think? Do you think everyone should strive to own their own business?

***I get randoms oh...another day!

*Muah* w/milk and cookies

15 comments:

Nice Anon said...

Let's just say that owning a business isn't for everyone.

Anonymous said...

I agree with u nice anon..but I think society considers the height of success being when you are your own boss. I mean, that is the furthest you can go in the employment ladder so I guess it is a measure of success..

Dang! I can be posh oh! lol...very interesting post by the way..

Buttercup said...

I'm of the same opinion. Owning a business isn't THE determinant for success.. I'd be content just earning a monthly salary..totally!

Blogoratti said...

Where you been???

Business isn't for everyone really. NO really :)

Fabulo-la said...

U know, I was just discussin that with someone the other day. See how the person made me lok foolish because I ddnt have the passion to 'buy and sell' or automatically set up my own company.
Like Niceanon said owning a business isnt for anyone, its not all of us that are driven by the ambition to make more money.

Some of us r driven by pure passion

BSNC said...

yes bizness is not for everybody, but some people can try balancing the two.. bizness and monthly salary incase one doesn't work out...

bellecosmetics1.blogspot.com said...

not everyone is going to be an entrepreneur, and there are people they call intrapreneurs now... i think...

doll (retired blogger) said...

Well, I know paid job may never make you a millionaire, no matter how much you make it’s a frigging circle…a rat race…plus you never have time for yourself and you never can build your life around a business that is not yours…
That said everyone cannot be a successful entrepreneur..so I guess its all bout finding yourself

The Girl with the Red Hair said...

I love the write up!!!

Every one cannot be an entrepreneur, and its sad that it takes a lot of people time to accept that fact.

Tigeress said...

I just had this conversation with my mum. Its not an African thing- even here in America- they'll preach that to you. There are better chances of you being successful owning ur own business than being an employee. As an employee- maybe if u're really high up in the ranks of ceo. now not that i'm being pestimistic- but are the chances of u in America being a ceo by 40?

Anonymous said...

oh well,ill love to have my own business some day...that said..it really isnt for anyone.

chayomao said...

Not everyone is business savvy.
Just do what you do best, i always say.
Good topic thou

Repressed One said...

@Nicey- Amen!!

@Nwanyi- You do have a point and i agree that IS a measure of success just not everyone's yardstick. lol@ can be posh. Thanks for breezing thru.

@ButterC- lol and and a whole buncha people jare.

@Ratti- I've been here oh...you no see my footprint for ya side? lol, yes i agree!

@Fablola- lol@ feeling foolish...I know what you mean mehn. Dem they make person wonder if dem get more than one brain. mschew!

@BSNC- True! Alot of people do both at least for awhile...

Repressed One said...

@ESJ- Yep, looked it up "Intrapreneurship is the practice of using entrepreneurial skills without taking on the risks or accountability associated with entrepreneurial activities." Thanks for stopping by.

@Doll- I agree. Everyone needs to find what works for them

@RedHair- I hear you mehn...people go thru their whole lives trying to attain that it...it's not for everybody.

@Tigeress- Chances might be slim, yes but that's for the person that's aiming to be a CEO, no?

@Leggy- You and a buncha people oh and that's great!

@Chayoma- I'm with you!!

Anonymous said...

"...one cannot be truly successful unless they own their own business(es)...Is this true?" No, 'tis not true.