Friday, May 1, 2009

Road Trip?

...anyone who knows me knows i HATE to drive as in I. Just. Do. Not. Like. It.

As in, if i don't do all i have to do before i get into the house forget about it getting done cos i ain't going back out. I always say if i lived in a place like NY i wouldn't own a car [hmm iono sha]. If there is an event...the distance of said event determines my attendance. I need a couple of days to prepare my mind so sometimes an impromptu 'far' event will go on without me in attendance. I just no like to drive shaaaa...

I read one of Uchenna's post where she was saying a road trip would be a perfect first date...I thot 'hmm, cool idea' but only for a second lol...unless he'd drive all the way and i know how they might make me look so umm maybe not :D
My friends are pretty cool and spoil me in that they always drive when we're going out and taking trips...even when i offer, most times they do the driving. I'm a good passenger tho' lol...i'm not a backseat driver [i hate that mess]. I won't sleep off and leave you to the road [no surprise there]...speaking of which

**Quick side bar**
I remember going on a trip with about 3/4 other people. On our way [about 4hrs] to our destination it was all fun and games. Everyone was chit chatting and generally having a good time. The trip back was another story...you know how it is na...everyone is all tired from the festivities of the weekend and no one really wants to chit chat or stay awake for that matter. Well, it wasn't any different on this trip. At some point everyone was falling asleep/already asleep. I was in the back and my eyes were closed. Next thing we know the driver starts screaming "EVERYONE SHOULD WAKE UP, I'M NOT YOU PEOPLES DRIVER" LOL!! so of course everyone wakes up and looks at her like she crazy but go right back to shut eye. Then she starts jerking the car and stepping on the brakes suddenly to rouse every one up. She swerves the car this way and that [safely of cos].She turned up the music really loud...still screaming "i'm never taking a trip with you bunch again...and a bunch of other stuvvs" homegirl was pissed!!! LOL! seeing as i wasn't sleeping i was just laughing [eyes still closed btw hehe]. I understood her plight but really?? what was that supposed to do? tsk.tsk.


So you see the "no sleeping" clause is a big plus on my part :p. I might be tempted to read while you drive but i usually don't. I sha don't think i'm bad company sha...

So anyways, all last weekend i was contemplating taking a 6~hour drive [return/turn around trip] to go support a friend on Monday. My first thot was 'nna mehn its far jo...i really don't wanna drive, especially not by myself'...i sha kept going back and forth all weekend. I didn't get any sleep on Sunday...not a wink so i had more time to decide i wasn't going to go jo..."i'll call 'em and support 'em in spirit" I said to myself. In addition, it stormed something serious...come see thunder and lightening...even more excuse...i wasn't trynna drive in the rain.

About 9am Monday morning i just decided 'what the heck...it won't kill you, get yo ass up jo.' So i did. Went to get my tires checked and changed my wiper blades cos it was still raining and hit the road.

It wasn't bad at all. I enjoyed my time on the road. I set the cruise control when i could [God bless whoever came up with that stuff] i had all manner of conversations with God and myself. Sang along to songs/danced to some. I got there and everyone was surprised to see me cos i didn't tell em i was coming...they were more surprised that me, RepOne drove all the way lol. Their many thanks and looks of appreciation just melted my heart. I'm glad i went. I was going to stay the night if the weather was still bad but the rain had kinda stopped so i decided to head back.

The journey back was.......chei!! It reminded me why i don't like to drive. It wasn't horrid but half way through i was just tired sha...my butt was numb...all the songs on my player we starting to sound meh...no energy to dance anymore. I was just ready to park the shege. Still, i'm glad i went.

Do i still hate driving? Heck yea!! lol. But now, it's not like a death sentence. I'll do it more now without whining so much about it [it's just pure laziness, really]. Incidentally, i have to take another road trip in a couple of weeks...I won't say i'm looking forward to it but i'm not dreading it either...mind over matter is where its at.

Hope you all have a funner weekend planned than i do...it's gon be a chilled one for me.


*Muah*

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eyah boo, I wouldn't mind driving you. I love driving... any excuse! But I feel your friend on ppl sleeping but I wouldn't go psycho like that

Anonymous said...

First!!!!!!!!!

Nice Anon said...

Me too. I don't like to drive either.

BSNC said...

i'm about to go for a road trip this month. i hope it will be nice..

i don't like driving, but sometimes you gats to do what you gats to do.

have a wonderful week ;)

er i thought you did a post today or um i dunno again jo

Roc said...

Hand me the keys..

I was like you for many years..

Now I'm just so used to driving I probably spend more time in my car than in my house..

Danny BaGucci said...

Loved driving for many years -- until i had two near life taking events - the last of which nearly saw me going into a river at just under 160 km/hr.. Needless to say I've not driven since then!

Spesh said...

I love to drive...
Esp wen i am angry/frustrated abt sumtn,it helps a lot,jst lyk long walks..

Spesh said...

I love to drive...
Esp wen i am angry/frustrated abt sumtn,it helps a lot,jst lyk long walks..

Sweetnothin' said...

I love Roadtrips...matter of fact i hope to go on one this summer.
Glad you enjoyed the going part.

Repressed One said...

@ Ms Lowlah— U do? Biko come drive…lol@ psycho…it didn’t kuku help anything other peeps still slept.

@ Nice Anon-- *High five*

@ BSNC— …alone or with people? I hope you have a fun one. I hear you my sister. Nah, I did a post the day before. I should be asking you…blogroll shows you updated but no update on your page. Hope are having a good weekend…even if you’re working :)

@ Roc— [Ignorant mode] Wait, don’t you live in London? How much driving can you possibly do? [/IM] lol…but for real, you do that much driving? Chei! Guess if I had to I won’t have a choice sha…

@ DannyB-- Oh wow! Scary stuff…thank God you’re here to tell the story!

@ MyWorld— lol@ long walks…good for you o jare

@ SweetN— Summer will be a great time for one…you should make it happen!

Buttercup said...

Lol @ ur friend..i feel her tho..

Gosh, i still dunno how to drive so i cant contribute meaningfully to this post..lol..

Beulah! said...

Hmmmn....u are not the only one that detests driving. I hate driving too but God has delivered me from it atleast for now..lol

Nice blog

Original Mgbeke said...

I actually enjoy driving, and I enjoy taking road trips alone. It gives me time to think (great thinking time), play my music, as opposed to trying to cater to anyone else's taste.
Yeah, just think, think, think and blast my music out loud. I once took a 6hr trip solo and I enjoyed every second of it.

Repressed One said...

@ Butter-- Don’t know how old/young you are but I didn’t start driving till late too...

@ Beulah— lol@ deliverance. I don’t see that happening to me anytime soon…Thanks for coming thru.

@ Mgbekes— Nne na you biko…I do agree with the thinking time tho’

*Diane* said...

i love driving! I haven't done any road trips where i've driven for more than an hour though..

Today's ranting said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Giagerry said...

awww.
i dont drive o...so i can really relate..
but im excited to learn..
hoping to ghet my first car now im a graduate!!

Anonymous said...

"...I sha don't think i'm bad company sha..." let me be the judge of that.