Friday, February 20, 2009

What is your Purpose/Passion?

“Your Daily Conversation Is A Portrait of Your Passion For The Dream You are Pursuing”

Hmmm. Is that true?? I came across that quote somewhere and it got me thinking...I don’t think it applies to me. When people ask me what my passion(s) is/are my response is a blank stare, I will try to explain why.

'For me passion= purpose. That doesn't fly for everyone because i know that people can have a passion for any and everything. I just believe that whatever I am passionate about should be something that's been put there by God and therefore will bring Him glory....that it really won't be about me.'

I looked up the meaning of the word and amongst a few others they had this: “the object of somebody’s intense interest or enthusiasm.” I can honestly say that there isn’t any one thing that I can describe as having intense interest in or I’m overly enthusiastic about. I can do a lot of things and/or try things and even do them pretty well but can I say I ‘love’ those things? No! Hence the blank stare.

I am not an easily excitable person. Or should I say I don’t necessarily show excitement. I might think something is hella cool/marvelous/awesome but I would say it like I would probably say ‘oh’…I won’t gush/oohhh/ahhhh about it like most ‘normal’ people will do lol. Why? I don’t know. Probably goes back to suppression/repression that I spoke about at the beginning.

When asked that popular passion question “If you can do anything in this world and get paid for it, what would it be?” I hesitate to answer and usually end up with something like “Travel the world, helping people in some form or fashion”…while I would LOVE to do that, is that really what my passion is? If it is, how come I’m not filling my time with volunteer projects or any at all sef? lol

I believe everyone should live a life of passion/purpose. How then can someone say they live a fulfilled life without an identified passion/purpose? Or am I killing myself with this thinking and depressing myself unnecessarily? Is my definition or view of what passion is wrong? I have spent the greater part of my adulthood fussing and ask and pleading with God to help me out in this area of my life. It is probably the sole reason for my discontentment thus far.

Some think that passion=gifts/talents all kind of go hand in hand. 'It can, but that's not always the case IMO. I mean, it's obviously easy to 'enjoy' doing what you naturally do well, but where's the real fulfillment in that unless you're doing it for a purpose higher than your own? Some people have a natural ability (talent) for things and they enjoy doing them because they are good at them. On the other hand, some people love to sing but can't sing worth jack...but u can't tell them anything! Lol.' I know people who have the gift of singing/drawing/painting/decorating/event planning/dancing [i mean i love to dance too betti...]bringing people together etc etc etc...now any one of these people can easily say that their passion is their gift/talent and are even 'known' for their gifts. They are passionate about that particular thing because they are gifted in that areas and excel in it. Now me, if I put my mind to anything and got enough training or practice or focus I can probably do anything that crossed my path but to name one thing that I am ‘known’ for? *blank stare*

Unlike a lot of people I don’t think ones’ life passion should necessarily be what they do for a living or how they earn their keep. If it is, great! But I don’t think it has to be so. I see a career/job as a means to an end. I go in do a great job…even make a difference, be appreciated or not, earn a great living etc but then I feel there should be something to go home to…this would be whatever my passion is supposed to be e.g. painting or volunteering or working with kids etc…make sense? Well, i don't have that and therein lies my @%#%$@@ [don't know exactly what to call it]

It's pretty disheartening to hear anyone say 'oh he/she doesn't have a passion.' It gives a feeling of uselessness. Like one is wandering aimlessly through life...lifelessly. It also deepens that feeling of inadequacy we all sometimes struggle with. One begins to think that there must be something wrong with them seeing as everyone else can list off things they 'just absolutely love' and they can't :( :(

I was speaking with someone and this is a snippet of what she had to say:
"Ultimately (for me), I think the answers to that will come when we aren't so wrapped up in trying to find it. Meaning when we throw ourselves into meaningful work--fellowship, discipleship, community work... things that express the Jesus that's living inside of us, not out of duty but out of a desire to please our Father. I think those questions will be resolved when we stop being so introverted. They may not be resolved in the sense that we will get a specific answer of what our purpose is like "you are called to be a doctor in the Middle East"---but I think that we will come to see that as long as whatever we find our hands to do serves our # 1 purpose--to worship God, the question of "what am I here for" will take the form of whatever we find ourselves doing at any given moment in time---living life in light of the gospel and of the commission upon our lives as Christians to make Jesus known..." HMMMM

So, Bloggy! What is YOUR passion/purpose?

PS: My writing is kinda all over the place...sowwy

*Muah*

No comments: