Sunday, October 25, 2009

"The Gifts

...[talents] of a man will make a way for him..." [Prov 18:16]


Okay, this post isn’t that serious but I can’t think of a title so help me manage that one lol.

I’ve talked about talent and passion and what not in the past. I even have a few posts on the fact that I don’t think I have any talents and how I’m still waiting on God to fill my heart with passion about something [worthwhile]. Lol. I actually [periodically] get on websites of nearby schools and browse through all their continuing education classes/courses hoping something interesting will jump out at me…some class I can take that might maybe pique my interest or wake up the creative side of my brain but alas…



ANYWAYS…



I love pastries and have always liked the idea of baking. I used to do a lot of it [read: help out] with my Aunty growing up cos she went to one of those catering practical schools back home and I always said one of the first things I would do when I landed yankee was learn to bake [yea right!]. Well, I didn’t do it right away but I have now looked and looked for baking classes and can’t find any. The only classes I have found are full blown culinary art school courses…I’m talking places you’d have to take out a school loan for….err no, I ain’t trynna do alladat. I sha came across a cake decorating class at my local Micheals. I contemplated taking this class for a while cos I thought ‘why am I learning to decorate when I haven’t perfected my baking?’ I can Betty Crocker a cake just fine but I want more than that. Sha sha in a bid to ‘do something with my time’ I decided to at least try the class. So i did.

There are 4 courses and each course runs for 4 weeks…one class each week-[4months/16classes]. The first class was good. It was a lot of good information and though we didn’t do much hands on [we watched the teacher], I actually think I can neatly ice a cake and do a basic design [I said I think!]. Like I said, it was a lot of information…the type of information that someone wanting to do it big time needs…much more than i am willing to commit to [at this time]. I don't know what i was expecting sha but the class required us to bake a cake each week and a lot of other stuff. Thing is, i think it'd be a class i'd be willing to take when i get married and have kids cos really what am i going to do with the skill now? I'm not baking cakes for anyone or for any occasion nor am I trying to go work in a bakery. So yea…that was that!

Another thing I’ve been psyching myself about is DIY projects. You know! something I can start and finish. I keep imagining myself doing small house projects like those people on the DIY channel or extreme makeover home edition lol. I’ve done some wall painting so I figure I can do some other stuff [teehee]. Well, I had been toying with the idea of a new bathroom floor because some portion of it is now yellowing due to moisture [or so I hear]. So, again, in the name of ‘doing something with my time’ I decided to take a Flooring [Tiles] class at Home Depot. I figured it can’t be too hard to floor a room as small as a bathroom right?? LNGKMD!! Err Wrong!!

Actually, if I had a partner I MIGHT have taken it on. The process isn’t too bad but when the teacher mentioned we would have to remove the commode/toilet so as to make sure that area is well tiled…she lost me. Lol. Das how I’ll mess around and pick the thing up sideways and break it…na mehn. It’s not a dead idea tho', just one I need to think about some more. I did find that 'installing' a back-drop like behind the sink or stove is quite easy to do but I’m not interested in that. So yea…that was that!

I would like to learn how to sew too. As many trad outfits as I have made over the last few years learning to sew will definitely save me a nice chunk of change. I’ve searched high and low and can’t find a sewing class that I’d like to take. The one I found was for like 40quid for 2 hours…wetin I wan take that one do and how many classes will I need to take? Ah well!


I FINALLY started my spring fall cleaning!!! Wooohoooo!! I’ve been talking about de-cluttering and getting rid of stuff for a LONG time. Finally started a few days ago, yay me! I’m pacing myself sha and doing a little at a time. I’m not done yet but good gosh I had so much stufffffff!! I have a trash bag FULL of jeans and pants that I no/can no longer wear, I have one bag with shoes, I have another with tops and other items…minus the stuff my sister obtained oh. My closet is still kinda full but it’s A LOT better than it was. Anyways, I have some ways to go but I’m glad I at least started. I really need to adopt that ‘one new item in, one old item out’ principle…I just be accumulating stuff!!

My weekend was hella dry sha. I dulled big time. I watched a few movies, Naija and American [A friend hooked me up with Netflix so I’ve been pigging out…]. OMG, speaking of which, I [finally] saw Hancock!! If that ain’t the cheesiest, corniest, wackiest movie ever, I don’t know what is. What the hell were the writers and producers thinking?? Lol, it was a bloody joke…as in I would crack up thinking ‘are you kidding me?’ lol SMH!!

How was your weekend, my good people?

Did we all go to church today? Wetin dem teach una?

...that's my time. Uall have a great week ahead

*Muah*

17 comments:

TayneMent said...

first biatch! lol

I wish i could take classes, I definitely know what I would be taking. Dance class! I miss dance :(

Hancock sucked

Yay, I went to church. I learned that just as we believe God is merciful and we surrender to him to forgive our sins same way we should surrender ourselves and our problems completely to him.

Azazel said...

Nah didn't go to church..
What is a church? Wat could one possibly learn from such a place? Delusions and ignorance

Anonymous said...

DIY - def not for me.. let the eperts handle their thing while I handle mine.... lol

Tigeress said...

If u've got talent- build on it. Remember the story of the servants in the new testatment.

As for the spring(fall) cleaning- i suppose do dat too.

tunrayo said...

yep, hancock sucked. total waste of good actors.

my weekend was quiet...could have been boring but i had company. we just stayed indoors. no church on sunday but i had my own kinda service at home (dat counts yeah)

...azazel: why the bias?

Myne said...

I do betty crocker baking, good enough for me. DIY yeah but no extreme ish, let the proffessnals do their stuff.

Weekend was great, my birthday started so I'm still glowing. LOL. Have a nice week.

kay9 said...

Oh c'mon! What's it with all you Hancock haters?! Lol! Hancock was cool - waaaayy cooler than cucumber!

Good luck with the cakes shaa.

Anonymous said...

which hancock?
*lost look*
hancock was ice coooool!
lol
my weekend was ayt
how is you week goin?

Nice Anon said...

Please learn how to make red velvet cake and send me a piece. Thanks in advance

Repressed One said...

Tayne- Looked into Zumba [that’s not considered dance, is it? lol]…well it got canceled. Hmm…simple as that sounds, it’s not the easiest thing to do. God help us!

Contro-Zel- How are ya?

Bagucci- You’re not a handyman? Lol…I hear you jare. I no know who wan send me message

Tigeress- Girl, the hardest part is starting…pick the smallest part and go for it.

Tunrayo- Hey, as long as you communicated with the father, yep, it counts.

Myne- Aww, Happy Birthday dear!! Hope you had a great one.

Kay9- lol, no be only cucumber…it was wack as all get out!!

SweetN- I see you and Kay9 watched the same version. Like Tunrayo said, waste of good actors. My week is going great, thanks. Hope yours is going well too.

Nicey- Haha, aiight no wahala…na whole cake I go send you. I hear it’s chocolate cake with red coloring.

Spesh said...

Wow girl!.all those baking lessons..........
So why is evry1 like Hancock wasnt cool,I so totally lovd it..

Original Mgbeke said...

I enjoyed reading this. (Then again, don't I always?)...did you check Community Colleges? You prob did sha...ignore me. Aniwoos the ones around my area offer cooking, sewing, knitting, dance and all them really cool classes for like $50 for 4 weeks. Not bad at all...
I would like to take one, but my current schedule will not allow. Will be rearranging things in a few weeks so we shall see how things go.
I didn't know Home Depot offered classes, very cool! Sounds like you got some good options thia.
A big YAY to DIY, I'm always looking for stuff I can diy. It's a lot of fun.
And once again, i won't apologize for my long-ish comment. :-D

Fragilelooks said...

Out of d whole clases, just pick one dat has ur most interest and build ôn it.

@azazel: wt d'u want to learn frm d church wit ur attitude?

BSNC said...

shuoo babe you have time o, learn how to bake now sew. I wish i had that much time in my hands.

My mum taught me how to bake, sew and nit when i was younger, but where did all that skills go to. Don't ask oo..lol

How you dey, abeg stop dulling jare. Try and have fun, no be like me o..

Harry said...

I am actually considering going back to my baking roots...my mama and grandma bake well... and i used to bake back in my teenage yrs (not that I am any older)...

Repressed One said...

My World- Hancock was the wackness mehn. How are you dear?

Mgbeks- Yes oh, I checked the CC’s around me. Dem get knitting and quilting classes but me no dey interested in those ones. Yea mehn, a lot of there locations have in house classes for different projects. No need jare…you know how we do ;)

Fragilelooks- That’s what I’m trying to find mehn…soon enough sha. Thanks for stopping by.

BSNC- Stranger!! School is really keeping you busy…u’ve been very scarce. Lol@ where the skill went…I’m sure if you try your hand on them again they’ll all come back. Nne mehn, fun is relative these days jare lol

HarryRamiItie- I’m trying to sound out your name and don’t think I have it right lol. Lucky you…I love pastries. Thanks for stopping by :)

Andrea said...

Baking...hmmm, yeah right...betty crocker style for me. I have not being to church for 1 month. Going back for the first time this sunday.